Welcome to Bôl’ter’s first blog article, It’s Sofia Coelho writing you from this side, a dancer by profession, but mostly by heart. I graduated from Escola Superior de Dança in 2017, but my training started well before that. And I’m not talking about school. I’m talking about the training I’ve gained from the experience of stepping on stage since I was 10. And it’s through this life experience that I write to you about dance, and how it can and should contribute to your self-confidence. Yes, because since I was 10 years old, I’ve had to learn to deal with my body, and how it can express itself. So, embark with me on this journey of self-esteem and self-knowledge.
Dance: the most present, pure, real and honest moment we can experience. It’s the moment of surrender of our body and mind to our soul.
When we dance, “physically” we release endorphins, that means we release stress. “Mentally”, we release serotonin, the pleasure hormone. Do I need to explain more?
But after all, what can your body do for you? Have you questioned it yet? Have you given it the space and time for that? Or you’d rather keep the “I’m ashamed”, “that’s not worth it”, “I’m too much of this or that to dance”, “I don’t know how to do it, I look ridiculous”. You’re just postponing your knowledge and control over your body.
Dance, along with music, allows us to transcend into a much lighter dimension, and with much more than the one we are used to living. Music is the first tool to use in this releasing process. A melody is a passage way to the next dimension and love is the fuel that keeps us alive there. And our self-discovery is what makes us want to go back there, over and over again.
To know how to love ourselves, we must first know and accept ourselves. Do you know what you can do about all this? DANCE. Feel your body through your movement. How? I’m going to suggest you something:
- Put on your best lingerie, that one that makes you feel even more beautiful than you already are.
- Put on your favorite song. The one that awakens the best in you. The one that makes you want to shout to the world what you feel, whether it’s fun, melancholic, sensual, the one you love the most.
- Close your eyes. Understand this is your moment. There’s no one around you. No one’s going to see it, no one’s going to comment. No one’s going to know. Close your eyes, it’s just you. Your soul. Let it express itself.
- Feel the music, the beats and what they’re doing to your body. If you need to stay still for a few minutes, do it. It’s okay. It’s your process.
- Now all you have to do is let your body follow what your soul wants. Don’t forget, it’s the soul that commands, the body just obeys.
And during these minutes, the energy you’re releasing will flood the universe with self-love and combat all stereotypes that have been created so far. Now imagine if all the women in the world did it simultaneously. Just imagine the wave of self-love the world would be receiving. But since we can’t control each other’s wills, let’s focus on what we can control:
Dancing in our best lingerie.